Northrop Grumman’s SeaFIND™ (Sea Fiber Optic Inertial Navigation with Data Distribution) is a next generation maritime inertial navigation system succeeding the company’s MK-39 Mod 3 and 4 series Inertial Navigation System product line.
SeaFIND delivers proven navigation capabilities in a compact and affordable package, making it ideal for applications where low cost as well as reduced size, weight and power requirements are critical. It is the first maritime inertial navigation system to move from the existing ring laser technology to Northrop Grumman’s new enhanced fiber optic gyro technology (eFOG™). The system has embedded navigation data distribution capabilities, leveraging Northrop Grumman’s proprietary algorithms for low data latency and allowing for the system to interface with a multitude of users that require accurate position and timing.
The system is designed using a modular system architecture and is comprised of an inertial measurement unit (IMU) and a separate electronics unit (EU) connected via a single cable. Its smaller coil size and denser IMU package allows for flexible installation in tight places.
Benefits of Use
- Low acquisition cost and through-life cycle
- High reliability, no maintenance
- No practical limitations on rate of attitude changes, can be used on any hull type
- Does not require operator intervention
- Web-based Human Machine Interface (HMI) through Ethernet connection
- Automatic fault isolation and system protection
- Not affected by rapid changes in external magnetic fields, ensure continuous precise position performance
- Embedded Navigation Data Distribution System (NavDDSTM). Receives, parses and builds specific messages and time-corrected navigation information then distributes data to other systems
Applications include guidance systems for unmanned underwater vehicles and unmanned surface vehicles, coastal and offshore patrol vessels, as well as small, medium and large surface vessels. SeaFIND is non ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and available for use by domestic and international navies.
Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in autonomous systems, cyber, C4ISR, space, strike, and logistics and modernization to customers worldwide.
Our company is a Northrop Grumman Sales and Service Partner in Australia. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to learn more about SeaFIND, or to discuss your project requirements with our engineering team.